1. Students are expected to apply knowledge and skills in meaningful tasks within authentic contexts and given multiple opportunities to succeed.
2. Understanding big ideas in content (and in context) is central to the work of students.
3. Students can only find and make meaning when they ask questions, think at high levels, and solve problems.
4. Teachers should regularly use thought-provoking, engaging and interactive instructional strategies.
5. Students will have opportunities to revise their assignments using clear examples of successful work, known criteria, and timely feedback.